Home
The Church
Church Services
Diary
Contact Us
Latest News
Weddings
Baptisms
Funerals
Donations
Photo Gallery
 
 
 


Much has happened over the past 165 years and over the coming months we shall be updating this page with interesting snippets of  information pertinent to the history of  St. Mark's.

A note on the architecture of the Church, by G. F. Webb, Esq., Consulting Architect to St. Mark’s P.C.C. from 1921, Churchwarden, 1926

The stone built Victorian Gothic Church of St. Mark, Pensnett, is an imposing edifice, standing over five hundred feet above sea level, in a commanding position on Barrow Hill, overlooking the village and the surrounding countryside.  The wooded valley in the foreground provides a pleasant rural setting to the Church, which is approached by either the tree sheltered footwalk from the High Street, or by the tree lined lane from the main road by the village War Memorial.  At the main entrance to the church there is a stone built arched lych gate, on the outside of which to confront one on entering is the carved figure of a winged lion, symbol of the Apostle St. Mark; on the reverse side, to be seen on leaving the Church is appropriately carved the figure of a lamb.

The Church designed in the Early English style, is cruciform in plan, with clerestoried windowed nave, side aisles north and south transepts and chancel.  There is an arched opening on each side of the chancel, the one opening to St. Chad’s Chapel on the south side and to the organ on the north.  The nave spans twenty one feet of the total fifty one feet inside width of the Church.  The transepts are seventeen feet wide and the total inside length of the Church is one hundred and thirty six feet.

The clerestoried nave walls are supported by five pointed and moulded stone arches, with wider and higher arches at the transept intersections, springing from substantial circular on-plan red stone columns with carved capitals.  The lofty roofing is open beamed: that over the Chancel painted with coloured decorative motifs.  The windows are tall lancet type, generally in pairs or threes, with one internal stone pointed arch embracing the several openings: glazed originally with geometrically patterned leaded lights several of which have been replaced from time to time by stained glass memorial “subjects” lights.  The East window comprises three Lancet lights, glazed with stained glass fixed in 1862 with a Rose window above.  The lower part of the sanctuary walling is oak paneled with mural decoration above depicting the Crucifixion Emblems.

The tower is on the south side and its base forms the main entrance porch to the Church.  It will be seen from the reproduction of the Architect’s perspective sketch of the Church, that it was proposed to carry the tower up as a spire to a height of some one hundred and eighty feet.  (The present tower is sixty feet high).  The reason for the none completion of the spire is not recorded: it is probable that it was found that the foundation was, (or might be, with the risk of subsidence through mining operations) inadequate to carry the great additional concentrated weight of the spire.  Experience of the damage to the Church caused by subsidence (made good in the restoration after the first Great War) would seem to support this explanation.  An alternative reason is that the lack of funds deferred the completion of the spire and this theory is supported by the fact that the inside of the tower was rough and incomplete until 1928 when the interior of the porch was completed and the Church War Memorial installed and the upper part was remodeled to house the peel of eight bells


Site Map